ADSM-L

Re: High Capacity Tapes

1997-03-27 15:59:30
Subject: Re: High Capacity Tapes
From: Francisco Franco <francisco.franco AT HYDRO.ON DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:59:30 -0500
Hi Dwight,

Dwight E. Cook wrote:

>      "FORMAT=DRIVE" just says use what ever can be used on the medium...
>      or "best possible"  I believe even the online help under "define
>      devclass"... yeah it is I just checked... I saw it under device class
>      for DLT tapes where there are the optional commpression settings and
>      the such, which reminded me of the bonus to using format=drive. Say
>      you have a DLT library and the drives don't have compression and then
>      you add a drive that has optional compression.  If you used
>      format=drive in your device class origionally you could add the drive
>      without having to create a new device class to take advantage of the
>      compression.
>      later
>           Dwight
>      (oh, and it also helps if you have to define a DLT drive but have
>      absolutely NO documentation on it and you get 4 different answers from
>      4 different people when you ask them about this drive they dumped on
>      you to use, don't you just LOVE IT when that happens)

Thanks for the FORMAT=DRIVE definition, I have found it and according to
the output of "q devclass" it is defined.  Here's the output:
adsm> q devclass

Device       Device        Storage    Device       Format     Est/Max
Mount
Class        Access           Pool    Type                   Capacity
Limit
Name         Strategy        Count                               (MB)
---------    ----------    -------    ---------    ------    --------
-----
-----
7331-8MM     Sequential          1    8MM          DRIVE
7331-8MM     Sequential          1    8MM          DRIVE
0.0        2
DISK         Random
3
EXB-AUTO1    Sequential          1    8MM          DRIVE
0.0        1
MANUAL8MM    Sequential          0    8MM          DRIVE
0.0        1

However, when I do a q vol, I get the following

970307                    ARCHIVETAPE  EXB-AUTO1         0.0    0.0
Empty
HC001                     TAPEPOOL     7331-8MM      4,944.0    2.3
Empty
TAPE01                    TAPEPOOL     7331-8MM      4,475.9   63.8
Full

I then went ahead and did an update devclass declaring the estcapacity
to be 7G.
I now have the following out put from q vol:

970307                    ARCHIVETAPE  EXB-AUTO1         0.0    0.0
Empty
HC001                     TAPEPOOL     7331-8MM      7,168.0    3.0
Filling
TAPE01                    TAPEPOOL     7331-8MM      4,475.9   59.1
Full

Is this the right way of doing this, or did I do a bad one here?

I'm now doing a move data from TAPE01 to HC001 (as you can probably
guess, the
HC001 is the 160m tape).

TIA

Francisco
--
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca
Francisco Franco                e-mail: francisco.franco AT hydro.on DOT ca