ADSM-L

Re: HPUX restore going very slowly

1997-03-25 11:21:23
Subject: Re: HPUX restore going very slowly
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:21:23 -0800
Is this possibly b/c directory information is stored on
sequential access volumes and not random access volumes? The
first time you did a restore, all directory information may have
been on just a few tapes. Now that time has passed, it may be
spread across many. You might check to see the number of tape
mounts this process has required.

I'm still a little unclear as to how the directory management
class works wrt what is stored in the database and what is stored
in the directory information. Maybe someone with a better
understanding of this can say whether this might be what has
caused the delays in your restore.

 -- Tom

"If I could dot the 'i' in a Michigan     Thomas A. La Porte
 game and the good lord came to take me   Archivist, Feature Animation
 the next day ... at least I could        DreamWorks SKG
 die happy." - Beano Cook, ESPN           <tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com>