ADSM-L

Re: Dateformat bug on client Solaris 2.5.1 (IP20999)

1997-03-25 10:19:09
Subject: Re: Dateformat bug on client Solaris 2.5.1 (IP20999)
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:19:09 +0100
On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Jean Luc De Witte wrote:

> it seems that the dateformat option doesn't work on the new Solaris
> client (PTF IP20999)
>
> AS anybody experimented the same thing and how can i solve this problem?

Yes, this bug has been discussed on this list. It obviously occurred in
the AIX client first and crept then into the other clients. The main
problem is that it prevents the use of site-written scripts which read
the output of ADSM commands.

The obvious solution would be that IBM fix the bug. There were repeated
suggestions on this list how this can easily be done without compromising
either the documentation or the new behaviour. PMRs have been written but
to no avail.

The second best solution is that you invest the time and money to rewrite
your scripts so that they circumvent this bug. This is not easy since the
new behaviour depends on what it thinks the local OS considers standard;
if I understand it right, this may be a format that is not conformant to
any of the previous five options. The "adsm-query" code by Paul Hilchey
may be of some help; I do however not know whether it copes with all
possible date and time formats. In Europe, you can get it via
http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/ALES/tools.

The third best solution is to convince all administrators on all your
client machines to change their OS parameters so that the wanted format
is then standard. There is, however, no documentation whatsoever about
how to do that.

> $ ./dsm -dateformat=3 -tracefl=all -tracefile=/users/jldw/t.lis
> 1997-03-21 16:47:53.0221 [020027] : dsx.c     (2037): Argument 3 is:
>    ----> This is the right format

This format is right in three respects:

It conforms to the ADSM documentation.
It conforms to international standard ISO 8601.
It is what happens to be output by some of the ADSM clients.

It is, however, wrong in one respect:

It is not what happens to be output by some of the ADSM clients.

> $ ./dsm -dateformat=3 -tracefl=all -tracefile=/users/jldw/t.lis
> 03/21/97   16:43:47 .0850 [020010] : dsx.c     (2160): Argument 3 is:

>    ----> The DateFormat option is inefficient.

It is not only inefficient but wrong: In Europe, there are only 12 months
per year. The 3rd of the 21st month of 1997 should be correctly the 3/9/98.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany