ADSM-L

Re: upgrade ADSM-database from version 1 to version 2

1997-01-30 16:53:00
Subject: Re: upgrade ADSM-database from version 1 to version 2
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 16:53:00 -0500
The upgrade takes a very small amount of time; expect the server to shut
itself down after the upgrade processing is done.  Then restart it without
the parameter.  The upgrade process apparently just adds some control
records and doesn't convert the database to a new format.

There is a price to pay for not converting.  Expect your expire inventory
time to go up quit a bit.  Each unconverted page must be reformatted in
memory before it is processed, but the reformatted page isn't written back,
so this must be done over and over until each page becomes empty.  When it
is reused it is written in the V2 format.  So eventually your 'exp inv' time
will come back down.

Bill Colwell
The Charles Stark Draper Laboratory
Cambridge Ma.