ADSM-L

Re: MagStar drives and 3494 Library

1996-11-21 06:33:29
Subject: Re: MagStar drives and 3494 Library
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:33:29 +0100
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Paul Zarnowski wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 15:20:56 EST Brian Pennington said:
> >     I am also adding another ADSTAR server which will share the 3494 and
> >     have 2 of the 4 Magstar tapes dedicated to it.  Is anyone out there
> >     sharing there 3494 between 2 Adstar servers?  I would appreciate any
> >     comments.

> We are also interested in hearing from anyone who is sharing 3494/Magstar
> drives between multiple ADSM servers.  We understand that NetTape can be
> used to do this, but I would like to hear some user experiences before we
> go down this path ourselves.

We are currently investigating similar scenarios. What we have heard up to
now leaves us *very sceptical* as to whether it is possible to share
*drives* (as distinct from sharing the library which is a different
problem).  NetTape has its own tape drivers which are incompatible with
the enhanced drivers ADSM needs.

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany