ADSM-L

Re: ADSM client disaster recovery

1996-11-18 11:55:43
Subject: Re: ADSM client disaster recovery
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17:55:43 +0100
Tom Denier <tom AT WAL6000B.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU> wrote:
> Subject:      Re: ADSM client disaster recovery
> the AIX 3 and AIX 4 chapters. Both recommend using mksysb tapes for the
> initial stages of client restore. We have had several incidents, some of
> them quite painful, where the mksysb command reported successful
> completion but produced a tape that subsequently proved to be unusable.
> IBM has declined to fix the mksysb command, and has suggested that we
> run test restores of newly created mksysb tapes if we are bothered by
> the prospect that the tapes will prove to be unusable when they are
> needed. If the redbook is going to advocate using mksysb tapes as a
> critical part of a disaster recovery plan, it should include fair
> warning of the limitations of mksysb, and a discussion of the precautions
> required to compensate for these limitations.

Besides corrupted tapes, are there any known software problems for the
mksysb command and the tapes produced ?  I'm really worried by your
statements.

Ole Holm Nielsen
UNI-C, Building 304
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65