ADSM-L

Re: MagStar drives and 3494 Library

1996-11-16 00:35:36
Subject: Re: MagStar drives and 3494 Library
From: Michael Louie <michael.louie AT CORP.VARIAN DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 21:35:36 -0800
At 06:19 PM 11/15/96 -0500, you wrote:

>From Bill Koeneman -- Koch Industries, Wichita Kansas (koenemab AT kochind DOT
>com)
>
>We are a prospective ADSM user (RS6000-G40,3494-L12, 2 MagStar Drives) and
>would like to get some feedback on the reliability of both the MagStar
>drives and the 3494 robotics unit. Would like to know user experiences with
>these devices (frequency of problems, time to repair, types of problems,
>shelf life of tapes etc.). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

In January, we installed ADSM on a Model 58H connect to a 3494 TLU with
4-3590 MagStar Drives and planning to upgrade the hardware to a Model 990. I
did NOT have any mechanical problem. We had to upgrade ADSM and 3590 tape
drive microcode to fix tape drive problems. It is very reliable system.
Michael Louie
Varian Associates
415-424-5055