ADSM-L

Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)

1996-11-14 14:47:18
Subject: Re: Migration of 3380-3390 (VM, ADSM V1)
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 14:47:18 -0500
Terrence,
        For the ADSM database, simply format and define a new database
volume(s) on your 3390's - make it as large or larger than the database
on the 3380's.  After it's defined, issue a DELETE DBVOLUME against the
database volume(s) on your 3380's - this will, in effect, move the
database off of the 3380's and onto the 3390's.  If you have multiple
database volumes, you should do this one volume at a time
        For the ADSM recovery log,  the scenario is the same... format and
define a new logvolume(s) on your 3390's, make it as large or larger
than the recovery log on the 3380's, then issue a DELETE DBVOLUME
against the recovery log volume(s) on your 3380's.
        For the disk storagepools, format and define new storagepool volumes on
your 3390's, mark the storagepool volumes on 3380's as readonly, then
issue MOVE DATA commands to move the 3380 disk storagepool volumes to
the 3390 disk storagepool volumes.  Note - if cache is enabled for your
disk storagepool volumes, it will take just about as long as having the
storagepool full of data so you might want to consider disabling cache a
few days before the migration. You could force a disk to tape migration
but this won't take care of the cached data.  After the moves have
finished, you can run DELETE VOLUMES against the 3380 disk storage
pools.
        All of these things can be done with your ADSM server up but I'd take a
database backup before starting..

        For 'flat' files (device configuration, ADSM options file, volume
history, etc.), you should be able to move them using standard utilities
(i.e. on MVS something like IEBGENER or DSS).  This has to be done with
the server down.

Tim Pittson
tpittson AT himail.hcc DOT com