ADSM-L

Re: ADSM reclamation control and batch command

1996-09-23 12:14:16
Subject: Re: ADSM reclamation control and batch command
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:14:16 EDT
Eric,

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996 18:59:00 +0100 Eric van Loon said:
>Hi ADSM-ers!
>
>I want to control the time ADSM kicks off reclamation. I can't find in the
> manuals how you can control this. Is it possible? I'm running ADSM for MVS
> version 2.1.09.

You can use 'administrative schedules' to update the reclaim threshold on
your storage pools.  Set the threshold high during the time periods that you
wish to avoid reclamation and low during the time periods that you wish to
start it.  Note, however, that once a reclaim has been started, it will
continue until cancelled or pre-empted.  If you are using large tape volumes,
then reclaim can take a long time to complete and it may run into the time
period that you wanted to avoid.  To address that issue, you would have to
implement some sort of monitoring process (or procedure) to cancel any
running reclaim that you don't want to leave running.

>I also would like to know whether it's possible to rerout the command output
> when issueing a command from MVS. This I would like to know so I can monitor
> the ADSM database size.

I can't help you with this one, we do all our admin stuff from AIX.

>Thanks for any reply!
>Kindest regards,
>Eric van Loon

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601