ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Include/Exclude

1996-09-05 21:28:38
Subject: Re: ADSM Include/Exclude
From: Francisco Reyes <reyes01 AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 21:28:38 -0400
On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:10:21 -0500, William Kral wrote:

>The question is, I want to backup a server. I want all the files backed up
>to have a certain retention, with the exception of all files with the
>extension of .xxx which I only want to keep for 6 days, but must be backed
>up whether it has been updated or not. The .xxx files could be anywhere on
>the server.

I would like to hear why you need to backup those files whether they
have changed or not...
Trying to answer your question... There are a few ways to do this.
1.- Use a backup and an archive. This is the one I recommend. You
will need one backup and one archive management class. Then do two
schedules one for incremental backup and the other one for archive.
On the archive you don't need to specify management class if the
policy that the node belongs too only has one archive management
class and is the one that you want to use.

On your option file you will have an exclude for the .xxx files
before your include statements.

2. The second involves using two copy group management classes. In
your include statements place the include for the .xxx files before
the rest of the includes and assign the management class you want to
use for those.

Example:
include sys:\...\*.txt
include sys:\...\*.xxx second_management_class

Both methods I mentioned accomplish simmilar things, but not exactly
the same. If you want to have a snapshot of the files for the last
six days then archive is better. If the files will be deleted and you
want to keep them 6 days after they have been deleted then
incremental backup is probably better.

Let us know if you need more help.