ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle shutdown

1996-08-16 12:41:04
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle shutdown
From: John Howard <John_Howard%PMUSA AT NOTES.WORLDCOM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:41:04 -0400
Cyndie,
        As you say, you do not need SAPDBA tools to do backups of the Oracle
database used in a SAP/R3 system.  But SAP does not make it easy for you to
"step outside" of their SAP umbrella.  But in a large SAP/R3 environment, you
are "pushed" toward NOT using SAPDBA to control backups because of the
limitations it imposes, such as not being able to use the more advanced
features of tape backup available when using SQL-BackTrack or Oracle's own
tools, Legato or SCH backup utilties, etc.
       I'm very interested in hearing more about what it means for the new
BACKINT to "...to use the ADSM api"  and what this might mean in terms of
performance.  ADSM has not proven itself to be a performance leader in backing
up large numbers of small files or in utilizing the speed capability of our
3494/3590 tape drives.   The idea of using a SAP approved method is attractive
to us, but the combination of SAPDBA and ADSM appears to be limiting when
compared with using products or other combinations of products to back up a
very large database on-line.
          John