ADSM-L

More tape drive fun..

1996-07-11 14:16:12
Subject: More tape drive fun..
From: Bob Booth - CSO <booth AT CHIANTI.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 12:16:12 -0600
I need some advice from anyone with experience with DLT drives, and ADSM..  My
experiences with 8MM, and 4MM have been very disapointing, so we decided to
go with the latest technology DLT.  I purchased 6 brand new 2000XT drives, and
each came with its brand new tape.  I installed the drives and started
using them.

To my surprise, one drive began getting errors on the first tape that it used.

I would like to know, from the errors I am getting, if I should suspect the
tape or the drive.  The tape that has already been marked 'readonly' has
only been used in one drive.

Here are the errors:

ANR8302E I/O error on drive DLTTAPE3 (/dev/mt5) (OP=WRITE,
                          CC=306, KEY=03, ASC=0C, ASCQ=00).

I cleaned the drive, and reset the tape to 'readwrite' status, and later on
it received another error:

ANR8302E I/O error on drive DLTTAPE3 (/dev/mt5) (OP=FSR,
                          CC=403, KEY=03, ASC=14, ASCQ=00).

This morning, I ran an audit on the tape in question and found that 16 of
the files out of 556 were 'damaged'.  The errors reported by the audit were
of the following variety:

ANR8302E I/O error on drive DLTTAPE3 (/dev/mt5) (OP=FSR,
                          CC=403, KEY=03, ASC=14, ASCQ=00).

or

ANR8302E I/O error on drive DLTTAPE3 (/dev/mt5) (OP=READ,
                          CC=403, KEY=03, ASC=14, ASCQ=00).

Is this typical of a tape drive problem, or faulty media?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful!

Bob