ADSM-L

Can machines be grouped in ADSM?

1996-06-21 13:59:55
Subject: Can machines be grouped in ADSM?
From: Vern Maxson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:59:55 EST
We have a cluster of 20 RS/6000 machines used for research.  All of the
disks are nfs mounted to all of the machines, and all the same accounts
exist on all the machines.  Some filesystems, however, are not shared
between machines, like /tmp and /scr.  Our users may logon to any of
the machines to do their work.  ADSM normally treats the same account name
on two different machines to be different accounts, and if you want to
restore to a different machine, you must logon to the first one and give
yourself permission to retrieve from the second machine.  Is there any
way to have ADSM treat all 20 machines as a group so that someone could
archive from one machine and query or retrieve from any of the other
machines without having to first set permissions?  We are adding 24 more
RS/6000s to the cluster next week and it would be nice not to have to
set permissions individually for 43 other machines.  Today, if someone has
archived files from several different machines, it is extremely troublesome
trying to figure how to locate the files.