ADSM-L

Re: Can machines be grouped in ADSM?

1996-06-28 08:58:26
Subject: Re: Can machines be grouped in ADSM?
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 14:58:26 +0200
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Vern Maxson wrote:

> We have a cluster of 20 RS/6000 machines used for research.  All of the
> disks are nfs mounted to all of the machines, and all the same accounts
> exist on all the machines.  Some filesystems, however, are not shared
> between machines, like /tmp and /scr.  Our users may logon to any of
> the machines to do their work.  ADSM normally treats the same account name
> on two different machines to be different accounts, and if you want to
> restore to a different machine, you must logon to the first one and give
> yourself permission to retrieve from the second machine.  Is there any
> way to have ADSM treat all 20 machines as a group so that someone could
> archive from one machine and query or retrieve from any of the other
> machines without having to first set permissions?  We are adding 24 more

The way we do it is to use the *same* node name on all machines. More
precisely, each client uses two node names, one private for its local
files and the common name across the whole cluster (about 50 machines
running HP-UX, Solaris, and AIX, or about 120 if you count the SP2 nodes
each separately). Distributing the password (for "generate" access) is
a bit of a challenge. Also, this big node becomes somewhat larger than
what ADSM would typically expect as the size of a single node: in our
case about 14000 users which has an adversary effect on the time the
client GUI need to come up.

Quite obviously, ADSM is not designed for usage in a cluster with shared
files. This work-around, although clumsy, seems to work, however.
A year ago, I summarised the problems of ADSM in clusters in a working
paper which you may retrieve under:

  http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/ALES/papers/cluster

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany