ADSM-L

Problem with Archive/Retrieve using ADSM

1996-06-12 14:09:48
Subject: Problem with Archive/Retrieve using ADSM
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:09:48 PDT
> I am running ADSM AIX Client Version 2.1.0.2 and ADSM AIX Server
> Version 2.1.X.

> ADSM archived a unix symbolic link file. But ADSM retrieved a normal
> unix file NOT a unix symbolic link file.
> ADSM does NOT preserve the ownership of the parent directories when
> ADSM is retrieving a file.

Michael,

   You are correct, this is the way the ADSM clients work.  It is the way
they were designed to work, and documented to work, on Archive/Retrieve.
It is not a problem per se, but a difference in philosophy of what
an archive is supposed to be versus what a backup is supposed to be.

   If you want to bring back just the link, and preserve directory
ownership, use Backup/Restore -subdir=yes, not Archive/Retrieve.

   We have heard from customers who disagree with our original
design and definition of Archive/Retrieve, and we are considering
some design changes to make Archive/Retrieve more like Backup/Restore.
One of the changes we are considering is archiving directory information
so that directory ownership and attributes can be retrieved.

          -- MJ Lopatin
             ADSM Client Development