ADSM-L

Re: 3494ATL w/ 3490 & 3590 drives

1996-04-22 04:24:01
Subject: Re: 3494ATL w/ 3490 & 3590 drives
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:24:01 +0200
> We are in the process of expanding our 3494ATL that currently has 4 3490
> drives.
> The expansion box will contain 2 3590 drives. I would appreciate comments from
> anybody out there who has gone thru a similar expansion. I would also like to
> know if I can define a new deviceclass within the current library so that I
> have
> control over who uses what drives. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

We have done a similar thing, and I posted some experiences on this list
6 weeks ago; you might look into the logs of this list.

Yes, you can (must) define a new device class for the 3590 drives. Then
you can use both device types. This is what we do: We mainly use the 3590
drives and only use the 3490E drive for some special purposes like
incremental database backup (full backup is going to 3590) and stg backup.

Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Universitaetsrechenzentrum, Einsteinstrasse 60, 48149 Muenster, Germany
E-Mail: mersch AT uni-muenster DOT de                   Phone: +49(251)83-2488