ADSM-L

Re: ADSM - HP/UX Install

1996-03-26 10:25:49
Subject: Re: ADSM - HP/UX Install
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 10:25:49 -0500
> Hi - I'm new to this and I have a question.
>
> My HP/UX administrator believes that ADSM should be installed in
> the /user directory and not in a subdirectory hanging off the
> /usr directory.  We are new to the HP/UX environment, as well as
> ADSM, and would like to know what more experienced administrators
> have done.  Thanks in advance.

ADSM should be installed ins /usr/adsm.  It likes to be there.
Although I can't remember what the exact variable to set is I believe
you have to start setting environment variables to compensate when you
move adsm to a non-default location.  Placing it in /users (with a
trailing 's') is not advisable, this file system should be reserved
for user files only, start putting system executables in here and you
set yourself up for massive confusion later as well as defeating th
purpose of having user files segmented off in the first place.  The
/user file system does not exist in the standard hp-ux installation.

I have adsm running on fifteen hp-ux 9.04 one hp-ux 10.01. On all of
these I have adsm set up in a 12 meg logical volume of it's own that
is mounted under /usr/adsm (actually on the 10.01 machine it's
/opt/adsm with a link back to /usr/adsm pending the release of a 10.x
version of adsm that will presumably conform to the 10.x file system
standard).  All sched logging goes off to a subdir off of /tmp.

> PS - Does anyone know of a list such as this for HP/UX?

There are a few news groups that may be of help. I'd suggest
comp.sys.hp.hp-ux for starters.  Lot's of knowledgeable hp types
there.  Also HP has some mailing lists.  I'll try to track them down
an post a follow-up.

Regards,
Chuck