ADSM-L

Re: RS/6000, SSA, db performance

1996-03-26 10:55:16
Subject: Re: RS/6000, SSA, db performance
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 15:55:16 +0000
>I'm configuring an RS/6000 to run ADSM and will be migrating our ADSM MVS
>environment (7 GB database, 2.3 GB recovery log,  25 GB backed up daily, 750
>GB of managed data).  I am planning on using the SSA disk subsystem and was
>wondering if anybody was using them for ADSM ??   Initially I was going to
>use the 2.2 GB Ultrastar drives for the database and recovery logs and the
>4.5 GB drives for the disk storage pools.  However, I've heard that ADSM
>performance would not suffer if I went with the 4.5 GB drives for everything
>(db, logs, etc.) .... is this true ???

Tim, The only penalty in using SSA today for ADSM DB is that performance
seems adversly affected by the lack of a write cache. We did a lot of
timings last year and concluded that until the RAID adapters are available,
with cache, then the DB was better on 7137. For the recovery log it made
no difference : SSA or 7137, both are very similar. Maybe you don't have the
option of DB on 7137?

We use 4.5GB SSA for recovery log and storage pools. We didn't do timings
for 2.2GB.

Hope this helps. Regards, Sheelagh

Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac
DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, Uk     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275