ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !

1996-03-08 02:52:03
Subject: Re: ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <ohnielse AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 08:52:03 +0100
Regarding ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file:

John VanderWerf <jtv AT VNET.IBM DOT COM> of IBM wrote:

>> Lesson No. 2: ADSM install may corrupt your system.  Make sure that
>>               you keep a backup copy of the file /etc/vfs.
>
>This was indeed an install bug with the 2.1.0.0 level of the AIX client;
>however, it was fixed in the first service update (2.1.0.1) for Version 2
>Release 1.  You should get and install the latest fix package; it is
>available from an anonymous ftp site near you:
>
>   index.storsys.ibm.com      (primary - California, IBM)
>   ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de    (mirror  - Germany)
>   ftp.wu-wien.ac.at          (mirror  - Austria)
>   ftp.cac.psu.edu            (mirror  - Pennsylvania)

It's nice to know that there is a fix somewhere.  However, I got a
brand new ADSM V2.1 CD-ROM from IBM Denmark about 10 days ago that
created the very serious problem described above.  Mind you, I will
never have any option of applying the mentioned fixes to my ADSM
installation CD-ROM (read-only medium, you know :-)  You are suggesting
to fix the installation *after* it has corrupted my AIX system, right ?

This problem is one of the most serious software bugs that I have
seen in many years, so I urge IBM to heed the following advice:

RECOMMENDATIONS TO IBM:

1. Withdraw the ADSM V2.1.0.0 CD-ROM from all distribution channels.

2. Send a letter to recent customers warning about potential corruption
   of AIX 4.1 when using the ADSM V2.1.0.0 CD-ROM.

3. Send a fixed CD-ROM to all ADSM V2.1 customers.

Best regards,
Ole H. Nielsen
Physics Dept.
Technical University of Denmark

% Ole Holm Nielsen
% UNI-C, Building 304
% Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
% E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen AT uni-c DOT dk or Ole.H.Nielsen AT fysik.dtu DOT dk
% WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
% Telephone: (+45) 35 87 89 65