ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !

1996-03-07 16:38:14
Subject: Re: ADSM 2.1 install corrupts AIX file !
From: John VanderWerf <jtv AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 13:38:14 -0800
On Thurs, Mar 7th, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> As a new ADSM customer I just installed ADSM 2.1 on an AIX 4.1.4 server.
>
> After the failed install, I could no longer access CD-ROM filesystems
> (cdrfs) !!!
>
> SU :/etc> mount /cdrom
> mount: 0506-318 cdrfs is not a known vfs type for object /dev/cd0.
>
> After much panic I discovered that the file /etc/vfs had been truncated
> to zero size !  Restoring this file from another AIX system saved my day !
>
> Lesson No. 2: ADSM install may corrupt your system.  Make sure that
>               you keep a backup copy of the file /etc/vfs.

This was indeed an install bug with the first service package (level
2.1.0.1) of the Version 2 AIX client; however, it was fixed in the
second service package (level 2.1.0.2).  The 2.1.0.2 package is available
from an anonymous ftp site near you:

   index.storsys.ibm.com      (primary - California, IBM)
   ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de    (mirror  - Germany)
   ftp.wu-wien.ac.at          (mirror  - Austria)
   ftp.cac.psu.edu            (mirror  - Pennsylvania)

The 2.1.0.2 AIX client package can be found in:

   /adsm/fixes/v2r1/aix

--
John VanderWerf                         IBM Corporation
John VanderWerf                         IBM Corporation