ADSM-L

Re: sched event missed

1996-03-02 16:47:17
Subject: Re: sched event missed
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 16:47:17 EST
On Sat, 2 Mar 1996 15:56:14 PST Dave Sanders said:
>I'm sure that this is an easy one (ecept for a rookie, like
>me):  If a backup is missed or failed, what steps do you take
>to force that client's incremental backup to run; NOW!  Thanks

If you have access to the client system, you can run an incremental
backup via the command-line-client or gui.  If you don't, then you
can create a backup schedule on the server (define schedule), then
associate the schedule with the client (define assoc).  The schedule
should have a small window that includes the current time.  If the
client is using prompted-mode scheduling, then the backup should run
almost immediately if you've set up the window correctly.  However, if
the client is using polled-mode scheduling, then you will have to wait
until the client wakes up and polls the server again.  You can probably
determine the last time that the client polled the server by scanning
the server's activity log (query act search=client-name).  If you know
what the polling interval is, then you can guess when the next poll will
occur.  In this case, make sure the schedule window that you have set up
will still be open when the poll occurs.

Finally, you will probably want to determine WHY the backup was missed or
failed, or it may just happen again.  To make this determination, you can
look at the client's scheduler log and error log, and also the server's
activity log.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601