ADSM-L

Re: DLT Tape opinions

1996-02-07 10:50:54
Subject: Re: DLT Tape opinions
From: Donna Gorday <Donna.Gorday AT UALBERTA DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 08:50:54 -0700

>        I'm trying to decide whether to purchase DLT 4000 drives or 3590's to
>use with ADSM. Can anyone comment on the DLT drives? They look great
>for the money but how do they perform over the long haul? Any comments
>about access times etc.?  Also I have heard that tapes for the DLT 4000
>drive are very expensive - anyone have any cheaper sources?
>
>        I think the 3590 drives look great but it's hard to justify the high
>cost of these drives. I also wonder if the 3590 isn't overkill when
>attached to an RS/6000. Can ADSM running on a 6000 pump out data fast
>enough to get a decent utilization of these drives?

>  Dean Roy                           Email: DEAN AT UWINDSOR DOT CA
>  Systems Programmer                 Voice: (519)253-4232 Ext 2763
>  University of Windsor              Fax  : (519)973-7083

We have a DLT tape technology on our VAX. We use the drive for backup
along with two exabyte tape drives. We have had the two types of
drives on our VAX for over two years. The system started out with one
drive called a TF85 which holds six cartridges in a autoloader. Worked
great for about two months then we had nothing but problems. They
tried everything replacing heads, replacing the drive replacing the
stacker.  They then tried to come in and replace the whole
drive every four months. Finally they just gave us a TF86 which is a
next generation of DLT holds 6gb per tape whichcost approximately
the same amount you are quoting. All our problems were resolved
right !! The new drive was put in sometime last fall and they have
only just replaced it last week. Of course this doesn't mean that all
these drives will have the same problems and I haven't heard of these
other companies or know their products.

It's my opinion that you only get what you pay for. If want ultra reliable
drives then your going to have to pay more. We currently are backing
up our AFS disk using an RS6000 580 and the channel card to
our memorex 5480's because we always have trouble with the 8mm
and we haven't had much better luck with 4mm or DLT. We are looking
this year for something to replace them and are considering 3590's.
I would not every consider using any type of DLT, most of the drives
that I have seen being sold by third party companies look exactly
like the digital equipment we have and thats enough to scare me
away.

Just my 2 cents.
Donna Gorday
Continous Operations Team Leader