ADSM-L

DLT Tape opinions

1996-02-06 15:48:10
Subject: DLT Tape opinions
From: Dean Roy <DEAN AT ALPHA.UWINDSOR DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 15:48:10 EST
        I'm trying to decide whether to purchase DLT 4000 drives or 3590's to
use with ADSM. Can anyone comment on the DLT drives? They look great
for the money but how do they perform over the long haul? Any comments
about access times etc.?  Also I have heard that tapes for the DLT 4000
drive are very expensive - anyone have any cheaper sources?

        I think the 3590 drives look great but it's hard to justify the high
cost of these drives. I also wonder if the 3590 isn't overkill when
attached to an RS/6000. Can ADSM running on a 6000 pump out data fast
enough to get a decent utilization of these drives?

  Dean Roy                           Email: DEAN AT UWINDSOR DOT CA
  Systems Programmer                 Voice: (519)253-4232 Ext 2763
  University of Windsor              Fax  : (519)973-7083