ADSM-L

FW: "Instant" backups

1996-01-03 14:49:49
Subject: FW: "Instant" backups
From: Andrew Mark Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 14:49:49 -0500
Don Sively asks:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forwarded letter follows =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
We have a user who wants an "instant" backup of his data when he
puts a =3D new file on a Unix server backed up by ADSM.  Is there a way
to do this?  =3D
Thanks in advance for your answers.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forwarded letter follows =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I can think of a couple of alternatives:

1) Let the user issue the DSMC SELECTIVE command after creating the =
file.

2) This may not be "instant", but it might be a nicer alternative: =
create multiple backup schedules for the Unix client and schedule them =
periodically (i.e. one every hour). The only caveats here: if you do =
this, make sure you specify a management class with sufficient number of =
versions and retention to support this. Also, to reduce the amount of =
work done, maybe you can specify in the "objects" setting a particular =
directory to be backed up, so you're not trying to do the whole machine =
repeatedly during the day.

Andy Raibeck