ADSM-L

Mac that won't complete a backup...

1996-01-03 14:23:03
Subject: Mac that won't complete a backup...
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 13:23:03 -0600
Thanks to all of you who gave me ideas on how to get a particular MAC
user to complete a full backup successfully.  After checking everything out
(TCPIP levels, timeout values etc) we were still failing.  Thought I would
let you know what we found the problem to be:

User had a package on his MAC that is a "powersaver".  It SEEMS like it must
detect that we aren't using the system, and actaully spins down the drive or
saves the memory to disk and spins it down or something... but we were really
still figuring what files to send next... so MAC would go to sleep and
ADSM would eventually time him out.  When we disabled it, all worked fine.

Other MAC users have a "after dark" function that seems to be just a screen
saver, and that does not cause any problems.

JUST FYI