ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-10-23 12:23:53
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 12:23:53 EDT
On Mon, 23 Oct 1995 08:05:39 PDT Frank Ramke said:
>> Is there some option/parameter to use to have busy files "auto-skipped"
>> without actually requiring a reply to a prompt?
>
>Jeff, currently no auto-skip for locked files during write.
>
>We are looking at this and other restore problems that skipping/continuation
>of the restore would be appropriate. Currently, we are thinking of putting
>an entry in the error log and a failure noted in the restore statistics
>for each file that is not recovered. Is this enough?
>
>Do you, or others in this list, have additional ideas?
>
>Frank Ramke

I think we may have run into this same problem last week.  Frank's suggested
changes sound like an improvement over the current behaviour.  Because a full
restore takes hours to complete, it is not reasonable to expect someone to
be around to answer a prompt.  However, if only a small set of files are
being restored, then a prompt might be preferred.  Is another "no prompt"
option needed to handle this situation?  I have no firm opinion on this one
way or the other, just so long as it is possible to restore an entire server
without having to babysit the restore process.

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601