ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/6000 and NFS

1995-06-22 11:34:11
Subject: Re: ADSM/6000 and NFS
From: Wendy Backup Buddha Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 11:34:11 EDT
Dean Roy said:
>   I have users who use one machine and think the files are local but
>in reality they are NFS mounted from a central NFS server. Users are
>not allowed to logon to the central NFS server. My concern is how ADSM
>handles this situation. Which machine would backups be run from - the
>NFS server or client? Does ADSM allow a user on the client machine to
>restore a file to the NFS server?

  Backing up from the NFS server is faster and saves your network.
However, the backups are then owned by the NFS server, not the clients
(as far as I know; maybe someone else will suggest a way to tell ADSM
they belong to the clients).
  I wrote a shell script that runs under AIX 3.2.5 on an RS/6000 that
uses su to tell ADSM to archive files from user-owned subdirectories as
if the dsmc archive command were being run from the file owner's id.
If you want to hack it to do incremental backups of particular
subdirectories, I'll send you the script.

Wendy Alberg, Computer Resources Technical Support Group, 315 CCC,
Cornell Information Technologies, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY 14853
wa10 AT cornell DOT edu    607/255-2672