ADSM-L

Server deadlock

1995-05-01 13:06:09
Subject: Server deadlock
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 12:06:09 EST
We've gotten our VM server, now at level 0.8/1.8, into a situation
where various processes are active, but in (seemingly forever) wait.
This is the 1st I'm reporting, however.

An AIX client deleted 4 file systems.  He says that he high-lighted all
and clicked OK (and OK on each).  Only the last delete finished.

I went to the server and could see 3 processes running, yet the server
was in wait state.  I canceled each process, but the cancel never
completed.  After a while, I forced/autologed DSMSERV.  (I think the
client then completed the deletions, one at a time, but I'm not sure of
this part).

I did not think to look at amounts of DB/LOG space at the time.  DB
space is now at 72%; LOG space is 2%, max 23% (56Megs).

I saw a multiple file system delete problem on IBMLINK, but it was not
marked as VM server.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE