ADSM-L

Import/Export questions

1995-03-28 11:15:20
Subject: Import/Export questions
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:15:20 EST
I have been testing Import/Export, and remember the concerns voiced about
performance.  I have a couple of questions about what I saw....

1.  Our server is MVS at Level 11.  I exported a client that had 137M of data,
in about 19 minutes.  On the surface that is nothing to write home about, but
it also isn't the 2-3 hours that I had heard about either.  Does level 11
contain the performance
improvements? Are there more to come?

Why am I concerned about 19 minutes for this example? - The test case was an
OS/2 client who had only been backed up and migrated once; there were few, if
any, of his data in the DASD pool.  This amounts to (I think) writting
appropriate control informati
on to the tape about the client, and then doing a tape to tape copy.  We are
using 3480 technology in an STK silo. I would have expected a little faster.

2.  After the export (done from the OS/2 admin GUI) I found that the client
definitions were the same as before - what I would expect if I was doing a
backup for disaster recovery.  However, I could not locate any information on
how to make a "permanent"
export - for example, I am moving a client from one server to another.  Does
this facility exist, or am I on drugs?

3.  I am somewhat concerned about the export tape itself.  After the export was
complete, I looked for the tape, but could not seem to locate it through ADSM.
To our tape management software (CA-1) the tape looked "good" - permanent
retention, owned by A
DSM, etc. - but it did not show up in the storage pool section of the admin
GUI.  I went to the command line client, and did a "Q vol", both as a generic
request, and with the specific vol ser, but it was reported as not found. I
would think that there ne
eds to be a way of keeping track of which tapes are being used here, or they
will fall into a black hole.  We need some way to report on these volumes.  Am
I missing something?

Thanks