ADSM-L

Re: Import/Export questions

1995-03-28 14:12:53
Subject: Re: Import/Export questions
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 11:12:53 PST
I just tested exporting our largest user last weekend.

It was a Novell Server that I've been backing up for over 1 year.
It had about 1.4 Gigs of active data.   The data was spread over 7 or more
3480s. (Collocation was turned on 4 months ago. )  I exported it to 1+ 3490.

It took about 9 hours to export and about 5 hours to import back.

I'm at maintenance level .11 on a VM system.  (that's about 2 behind?)

Someone said the performance problem for exporting is compounded by larger
users?

Jerry:  Yes,  you have to manage export/import tapes on your own!!
The help that ADSM gives you is to declare the volid to be export.1 , etc
in the exit machines parms (on VM, I don't know what you do for MVS!)

 So I'm putting logic for tape management there.  It would be nice if the
VM-ADSM server/exit placed the userids in the parm list passed to make it
easier to associate a volume assigned with a particular export command.

  cheers  ..... joe.f.