ADSM-L

ADSM Sun GUI Open Registration Interface

1995-03-20 14:27:28
Subject: ADSM Sun GUI Open Registration Interface
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:27:28 EST
Sitting this morning with one of our UNIX systems people while he
installed the ADSM Sun client and went through the open registration
process, I was very embarrassed at how clumsy and unUNIX-like this
part of the Sun GUI is.

There are several problems:

o  The box that has the copyright information must be clicked on for
   the Sun client, even though it doesn't require clicking on for the
   OS/2, Windows, Mac, etc., clients.

o  The open registration information box partly overlays the copyright
   box and neither can be moved/sized/etc.

o  In the open registration box, one cannot tab between the fields, but
   must instead move the pointer and click.

o  When one clicks on the beginning of the field, there is no indication
   whether the click was seen.  (One would expect the caret to change to
   an I-bar.)

o  Correcting typing errors in the password fields is *very* confusing.
   If one back-spaces to the beginning of the line, what one types is
   then appended to the end of what was in the field before, even though
   the caret had moved back to the beginning of the field.

o  Control-u can't be used to wipe out the contents of a field.

Given that most people installing the Sun client are already sceptical
about IBM software, I think some effort should be put into making their
introduction to ADSM more attractive.

Melinda Varian,
Princeton University