ADSM-L

Extra slow Windows client operation with SLIP?

1995-03-16 17:13:44
Subject: Extra slow Windows client operation with SLIP?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 17:13:44 EST
Just because I know someone will try it if we sell ADSM service w/i
the University System, I installed the Windows client (latest one -
with compression fix) on my Windows 3.1(1?) system at home.

To more complete the picture, I'm running DOS 6.0 and Norton Desktop
for Windows and the connection to a VM server is a 14.4 modem with
SLIP.  The serial port is running at 19.6, since at higher speeds
(Trumpet) Winsock (2) has severe problems.  No other Winsock
applications show any problem.  This is a 486-33.

The backup client starts as expected and zooms through the 1st 35
files (according to the display), at which time it goes into
slow-motion.  After increasing the VM server timeout from 1 minute
to 3 minutes and then again to 10 minutes, backup proceeds ... at a
crawl.  ADSM reports 0.125KB/sec, but it doesn't seem that fast. :(
The modem transmit/receive lights *rarely* light.  The PC acts
sluggishly as if ADSM is in the background eatly cycles.  ADSM acts
this way whether there are other applications running or not, and
specifically other Winsock applications or not.

Is there a fix?  Does anyone suspect my machine, Trumpet Winsock or
SLIP, or what?

Thanks for any light anyone might shed,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE