ADSM-L

Re: Extra slow Windows client operation with SLIP?

1995-03-22 14:39:56
Subject: Re: Extra slow Windows client operation with SLIP?
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT CAPSLAN.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 14:39:56 EST
On 16 March, I said, in part..
>...backup proceeds ... at a
> crawl.  ADSM reports 0.125KB/sec, but it doesn't seem that fast. :(
> The modem transmit/receive lights *rarely* light.  ...

I turned compression OFF and now backup proceeds at about 2KB/sec,
nothing to write home about, but more like I'd expect.  Have any
others found compression to be so slow (on a 486-33) so as to cause
more than a 10-times slow-down?  I'm still puzzled.

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE