ADSM-L

Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?

1994-12-05 20:18:27
Subject: Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?
From: Mitch Sako <mitch AT LSIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 17:18:27 PST
> Well, actually, Mitch, getting the CMS administrative client to issue
> a command at a given time of day (or week) is trivial.  My problem in
> automating is due to the fact that the commands I'm interested in, such
> as EXPORT, don't send the final messages back to the administrative
> client.  This makes it difficult to have a program check the results
> of the command.  For example, I want to issue an EXPORT command and
> make sure it runs to completion, then issue the commands necessary to
> eject the tapes from our tape robot.  And, if the EXPORT failed, I want
> to notify somebody to investigate.  Thus, I need to know which tapes
> got used and what the ending status of the EXPORT command was.

I see.  The Q ACT does have some time/date parms that allow you to
fence the activity log such that you can read the output from there.
There is no interactive way that I know of to do this.  I believe that
you have to kludge something in order to pull this off.  I've experimented
with tail'ing (tail -f, in UNIX) the output from this to a filter but
haven't really had much time to experiment and develop anything.
| I-NET Corporation    \\ \\ \\ \\    \\       ||    //      //    //  |
| LSI Logic Contract    \\  \\\  \\    \\      ||   //      ////////   |
| Mailstop E-195         \\       \\    \\     ||  //      //    //    |
| 1501 McCarthy Blvd.     \\       \\ \\\\\\\\ || /////// //    //     |
| Milpitas  CA  95035            ___o                                  |
| internet:   msako AT lsil DOT com  (_)/ (_)    FAX:    (408) 433-8796       |
| personal:   msako AT netcom DOT com            Pager:  (408) 989-3365       |
| ibmmail:    USMILUN9 AT IBMMAIL                                      |
| DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are mine alone                        |