ADSM-L

Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?

1994-12-05 16:36:57
Subject: Re: So, how do YOU back up ADSM?
From: Melinda Varian <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 16:36:57 EST
Well, actually, Mitch, getting the CMS administrative client to issue
a command at a given time of day (or week) is trivial.  My problem in
automating is due to the fact that the commands I'm interested in, such
as EXPORT, don't send the final messages back to the administrative
client.  This makes it difficult to have a program check the results
of the command.  For example, I want to issue an EXPORT command and
make sure it runs to completion, then issue the commands necessary to
eject the tapes from our tape robot.  And, if the EXPORT failed, I want
to notify somebody to investigate.  Thus, I need to know which tapes
got used and what the ending status of the EXPORT command was.

I can (and will) do all this using the VM secondary console interface
facility to watch the messages on the server console, but it would be
simpler if there were an option to return the messages to the client
that issued the command.

Melinda