ADSM-L

OS/2 client single threaded?

1994-10-05 17:57:34
Subject: OS/2 client single threaded?
From: Nick Laflamme <NLAFLAMM AT VMA.CC.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 16:57:34 EST
As I restore my files to a recently formatted OS/2 system, it occurs to me
that the OS/2 client is single threaded!  Either I'm selecting files or
subdirectories to restore, or the actual restore is going on.  ADSM doesn't
let me select the next batch of directories or files to restore while it's
restoring a set.

I know why a DOS client would work that way, but surely the clients on the
more capable platforms can be better about this?

(Please, oh please, don't tell me the protocol doesn't support querying the
available files from the server while pumping data back and forth.  I know
it'd have to be slower than if no data were flowing, but surely the
protocol allows for such a mixture of traffic?)

Just a thought,
Nick

* Intelligence demands reasons, not rules.