ADSM-L

Re: Communication types

1994-01-29 16:44:00
Subject: Re: Communication types
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio {510} 642-7638 {w}" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 1994 13:44:00 PST
Correct me if I'm wrong but:
For DOS w/Windows you can use any TCP/IP that adheres to the
Winsock.DLL 'standard'   IBM says this in its docs somewhere.

 But then somewhere else it says : "OOPS sorry not all Winsocks
 are created equal.  Your mileage may vary"

What I've found out working with it here is that the Novell product works:
that's:
         Lan Workplace for Dos.   (or whatever its called!
This is good news for us because Novell has
given us a free site license after some 'Nth' user here bought a copy at full
price.  (god bless 'em)

Up to now I couldn't sell a 'free' backup service that required an expensive
transport protocol (IBM or FTP's) even though we have a site license for
FTP to sell it at $65.00 a-pop, our users still won't buy in.
(Are we any different than other Universities?  Faculty make 100's of K
salaries and budget millions of $'s in research but still refuse to spend
anything for software!  .. sigh )

On the Macs tcp/ip is already there (included with System 7 or is it a
ShareWare that's the only one used??)

So tell your Netware Dos/Window users they can skip buying IBM or FTP's
ethernet!

I think it would be helpful to the list if others could 'document' what
WINSOCK's work with ADSM since IBM has yet to publish a list.
So I went first.  Any body else???

    cheers .. joe.f.