ADSM-L

Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?

1994-01-31 04:46:09
Subject: Re: "Point-in-time-restore"?
From: "Smith, Dean" <DSMITH8 AT IS.ARCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 09:46:09 GMT
> Reinhard Mersch  writes,

> ARCHIVE could be a solution, if it allowed archiving a total directory
> tree (and if it correctly handled soft links).

That must depend upon your client.  I've tried directory archive on both a MAC
and a SUN and it seems to work there.

> Point-in-time-restore of backup will probably never be possible due to
> ADSM's design philosophy: If you keep 3 backup copies and want to
> restore the state of 1 week ago, for some data sets there will probably
> exist only younger backups.

I think the orignal questioner was attempting to make a general case of out some
very limited user specific requirements.  The cases he specified could be
addressed by a user managed backup.  IMHO user managed backup is the ARCHIVE
function.  I think the reason that ARCHIVE and it's uses are difficult to define
is that it is user managed backup.  The user manages the backup, the user has
some 'external' knowledge as to the uses of the backup and the proper
restoration.

Dean Smith, dsmith8 AT is.arco DOT com, 214.754.6415
ARCO Exploration & Production Research
Plano, TX  75075