nv-l

Réf. : RE: [nv-l] DISPLAY problem on linux Ubuntu (Off-Topic)

2005-03-11 10:04:07
Subject: Réf. : RE: [nv-l] DISPLAY problem on linux Ubuntu (Off-Topic)
From: thierry.van-mol AT ciev.vd DOT ch
To: nv-l AT lists.us.ibm DOT com
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:03:21 +0100
Thanks for the replies. Here is what I found out.

On 10.03.2005 21:41:49 REIBENSCHUH Alfred wrote:
> since ubuntu is debian you need to check
> if you are either running xfree86 or xorg.

tried both (with 2 different versions of ubuntu)

> the config files to check are: /etc/X11/XF86Config or xorg.conf
> try looking for "DefaultDepth" and "Depth", which should be
> 24 or 32 for a optimal netview-experience.

Well not true....
I found out that Netview displays correctly if DefaultDepth is set
to 8 bits.
The problem is related to the display of the Gifs (the backgrounds and
the icons found in /usr/OV/icons/gifs). Seems that this is working properly
only if the Visual of the X server is pseudo-color (8 bits depth).

On the Sun Workstation that I used before for displaying Netview console,
it had a Raptor GFX  graphic card that support a "8 & 24 bits
simultaneously"
mode. This provides the 2 Visuals at the same time to the Xserver.
This is nice, because old applications use the 8 bit mode (Netview gifs are
OK),
and newer application can take advantage of the 24 bits visual.

On my linux box, there is a Nvidia graphic card. Nvidia seems to mention a
"overlay" mode similar to the Raptor "8&24" mode, but I didn't manage to
make
it work. Does anyone know of any graphic card for PC hardware that support
such
a feature?

P.S.:

On 10.03.2005 21:13:07 James Shanks wrote:
> Never heard of Ubuntu.  This is just a guess.

You can have a look at:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

It's a Linux distrib based on Debian. It's more desktop oriented.

And yes, I understand the problem with supporting multiple OS. I once was a
developper too, at a time there was no Linux, but still many Unix
flavors...