nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Netview 713 fp1 and events from Cisco Works

2003-01-20 12:26:54
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview 713 fp1 and events from Cisco Works
From: Leslie Clark <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:51:46 -0500

No, you are on the right track. All you have to do is get the devices to
send events
to Netview. Netview will already have most of them formatted. For any that
are not
formatted, eg some of the newer devices or those recently rebranded by
Cisco,
then you use mib2trap.

It is worth taking some time to decide which events the devices should
send.
Different devices have different capabilites. Some things you will want in
the
syslog, but not as traps. Cisco has a web page for the configuration of
each
device and that includes configuring the traps. You can come up with a
standard
for each type that gives you useful stuff but not the noise.

For example, for routers and route-switches, it is really useful to get the
Link Up/Down traps, because Netview will react to those and update the
status immediately. For edge devices, that information is not useful.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

                      "O'Connor, Sean"

                      <Sean.O'Connor@b-a        To:       Leslie
Clark/Southfield/IBM@IBMUS
                      nd-q.co.uk>               cc:

                                                Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Netview
713 fp1 and events from Cisco Works
                      01/20/2003 10:02

                      AM

Hi Leslie,

Thanks for the mail.  The main reason for getting the events through to
NetView were so that we can use NetView to forward the Events into our
Tivoli TEC.  We have the TEC monitored by our 24/7 operations teams.  I
guess my best bet is to get each of the Cisco devices to forward their
events direct to NetView and use mib2trap to format the events.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?, or am I beyond help?

Thanks in advance

Sean O'Connor
Tel:      (02380) 25 x7228