nv-l

[nv-l] Off Subject [syslog]

2003-01-17 18:49:12
Subject: [nv-l] Off Subject [syslog]
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
To: "'NV-L AT lists.tivoli DOT com'" <NV-L AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:49:54 -0500

Is anyone using their NetView server as a Cisco Syslog Server.
I have configured my Cisco equipment to send their syslog messages to my NetView server using the standard syslog port 514. I have written a perl script that continuously tails this log and generates SNMP traps for Emergency, Alert and various other messages and key words that appear in the log.

By the way, I have not configured the Cisco equipment to forward Cisco syslog messages as SNMP traps. The trapd log becomes a mess!

I am concerned that this might have been a bad idea.
If both syslogd and trapd are being stormed with thousands of messages (syslog and traps) from hundreds or even thousands of routers and switches, what impact can syslogd have on the NetView application?

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Don Davis

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.