nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Off Subject [syslog]

2003-01-17 15:49:26
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Off Subject [syslog]
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
Date: 17 Jan 2003 13:29:33 -0600
"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com> writes:

> Is anyone using their NetView server as a Cisco Syslog Server.
> I have configured my Cisco equipment to send their syslog messages to my
> NetView server using the standard syslog port 514. I have written a perl
> script that continuously tails this log and generates SNMP traps for
> Emergency, Alert and various other messages and key words that appear in the
> log.
>
> By the way, I have not configured the Cisco equipment to forward Cisco syslog
> messages as SNMP traps. The trapd log becomes a mess!
>
> I am concerned that this might have been a bad idea.
> If both syslogd and trapd are being stormed with thousands of messages (syslog
> and traps) from hundreds or even thousands of routers and switches, what
> impact can syslogd have on the NetView application?

Syslogd isn't very processor intensive--it's IO intensive.  You could
mitigate this concern by throwing another interface in the box.  Use
the IP NIC1 as snmp trap destination and the default route out of the
box (so NetView uses it for its outbound traffic), and then nic2's IP
address as the syslog target for all the Cisco boxen.

We do this and it seems to be working nicely.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/