nv-l

[nv-l] COMMUNITY STRING INDEXING

2003-01-07 18:28:46
Subject: [nv-l] COMMUNITY STRING INDEXING
From: "Cowan, Christopher" <Christopher_Cowan AT sra DOT com>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:28:46 -0500
Jeff Fitzwater wrote:

> I might note that dot1dBridge MIB (RFC 1493) supports COMMUNITY STRING
INDEXING, so if
> you are not using vlan 1 you must append @vlanNumber after the community
name in order
> to get the mib info from other vlans, otherwise only vlan 1 data will be
> retrieved.   Also if you do append the @vlanNumber and you only have vlan
1 then it
> will retrieve vlan1 info.   IE.. public@122

Jeff,

Thanks.   I think this may explain something I was seeing with Switch
Analyzer 1.2.
Some layer 2 devices were discovered properly as layer 2 devices (from the
system MIB values), but they weren't reporting their port status.
(Actually, they weren't responding to dot1dBridge MIB queries, at all).

I think it is a bug with Switch Analyzer.

--
Chris Cowan
Sr. ESM Consultant