nv-l

Re: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly

2003-01-09 18:19:25
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: Matt.Brozowski AT tavve DOT com
Date: 09 Jan 2003 17:19:25 -0600
Matt.Brozowski AT tavve DOT com writes:
> Thorsten
>

> It looks like snmpCollect is treating your expression as a
> counter...

In my experience, every OID referenced in a MibExpr.conf file is
treated as a counter and replaced with the time rate of change

(v(t2)- v(t1))/(t2-t1)

As a matter of practice, if an OID is not already a counter, I coerce
it to one in mib.coerce.  I'm not sure if I need to do this, but there
is some reason I learned to start doing it.....

> mib.coerce file.  If that doesn't work than it seems that a PMR is
> your only resort... There are really two here..
>
> 1.  Why can't Thresholds do less than

Because MLM can, and no if there is an enhancement request for
snmpcollect to handle this, it hasn't received enough attention to get
implemented.

> 2.  How do I coerce the type for a mib variable within an expression...

an entry in mib.coerce  will take a given OID that is an integer and
can coerce it into a counter.

> It is important to note here however that problem number 2 results from a
> poorly defined mib rather than an actual problem in NetView...  the dhcp
> mib should never have made noAddFree a counter.. it should have been a
> gauge to begin with...
>
> I'm not sure the best way to create a PMR except to ask for a
> mechanism for thresholding when a counter variable goes below a
> certain value.  (This seems contradictory however because counters
> aren't supposed to decrease.)

Pose your PMR as  "How do I do.... with NetView?"

I did... and they will tell you to use MLM's capability.  MLM can
handle a < Is there a reason you don't want to use MLM?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/