nv-l

Re: [nv-l] snmp/icmp polling

2003-01-06 13:22:33
Subject: Re: [nv-l] snmp/icmp polling
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:22:33 +0000
Hi Karl,
I think part of your answer is to use the ^ (caret) symbol. If you have, for example $10.1.2.* but want to ping-poll some of those devices (eg. 10.1.2.3) then put ^10.1.2.3 in the seedfile. I'm not at all sure that that is going to give you the result you want though. I had a feeling that the ping-polling / snmp-polling was determined on a per-node basis, not on a per-interface - anyone confirm that?

The $ syntax in the seedfile doesn't actually affect discovery - that is fundamentally done by a response to a ping. The $ entries simply say "once this node is discovered, use SNMP to status poll".
Cheers,
Jane

Karl Prinelle wrote:

Hi,
Hope someone can help - I've done a bunch of searching but seem to have got nowhere... I'm trying to manage some Nortel routers - these are the ones that don't write the ifOperStatus/ifAdminStatus to the standard MIB (at all/reliably). Each router has 3 IP addresses (two frame, one lan). They also have a backup ISDN interface which kicks in if both frames go down, but this shares one of the frame IP addresses & since SNMP wont work (above) I can't use the ISDN dormant bit of the seed file - we can workaround just checking the IP addresses. So my plan (which of course could be a bad plan!) is to discover them as SNMP nodes by putting a $IPaddr entry in the seed file, but then configure netmon to disable SNMP status polling & only use ICMP polling against the 3 interfaces that are discovered. In NT (w2k, NV 7.1.3) I can see under Options->Polling I can set "Poll all nodes" to "on" and the drop-down to "Disable All SNMP status polling". This puts a "-E" in the netmon.lrf & updates ovsuf. Will this mean that any device (even if discovered as an SNMP device) will be status polled using ICMP? Also - where is the equivalent setting on a Unix machine? I'm using Linux with NV 7.1.3 and can see the menu option to turn status polling on/off, but not one to set status polling to be ICMP rather than SNMP. Many thanks in advance.... Karl Karl Prinelle
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Elyzium Ltd
Enterprise Systems Management Consultants
Mobile: +44 (0)7813 189198
Email: Karl.Prinelle AT elyzium.co DOT uk <mailto:Karl.Prinelle AT elyzium.co DOT
uk>
http://www.elyzium.co.uk <http://www.elyzium.co.uk/>
* *

*Elyzium Disclaimer:*

This email transmission is confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information, or take any action in reliance of it. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of any organisation or employer. If you have received this message in error, do not open any attachment but please notify the sender (above) deleting this message from your system. Please rely on your own virus check no responsibility is taken by the sender for any damage rising out of any bug or virus infection.

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.