nv-l

[nv-l] Interface Down Messages from Unmanaged Interfaces

2003-01-06 03:02:19
Subject: [nv-l] Interface Down Messages from Unmanaged Interfaces
From: "Grossenbacher Michel" <Michel.Grossenbacher AT coop DOT ch>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 09:02:19 +0100
Hy together

Im on AIX 4.3.3  with Maintenance Relase 9 (with Linux Tool Box)
NetView 7.1.2

Since I use 7.1.2 I get Interface Down messages from Interfaces that are
unmanaged. I think this happens during the Demand Poll every 24h cause the
Interfaces are up via SNMP but not via ICMP. But still, I have set them
unmanaged and therefor I dont want to recieve messages from those Interfaces.
To change this behavior I just see one solution at the moment, change the
polling from ICMP to SNMP and set those Interfaces Managed again. I dont like
this solution cause this means to activate SNMP polls for more then 1'000 Nodes
(each with at least 4 Interfaces. 2 reachable via ICMP and 2 only via SNMP).
Anyone got some better Ideas? I just want to reduce the events I get.

Thanks in advance

Michel

Coop
Michel Grossenbacher
Systemtechnik/Telekommunikation
Network Management Systems Verantwortlicher
Telefon: +41 61 336 57 68
Telefax: +41 61 336 57 57
michel.grossenbacher AT coop DOT ch
Pikett Telekommunikation: +41 79 219 73 77
http://telekommunikation.hs.coop.ch