nv-l

Re: [nv-l] [NV-L] Ruleset trace - Query Database Field not working

2003-01-10 09:31:07
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [NV-L] Ruleset trace - Query Database Field not working
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:31:07 -0500
Two answers to your two questions.

(1) The command to trace ruleset operation is nvcdebug.  You can see the
various options in the man page.  But the best thing to do wen debugging
ruleset is to issue "nvcdebug -d all"  to get the full nvcorrd trace.  You
can turn tracing off again with "nvcdebug -r".  Unless you issue some
version of nvcdebug  the nvcorrd.alog and blog show only catastrophic
errors.  Thee is no documentation provided on reading the trace but it is
pretty straightforward.  There is a "Received a trap" eyecatcher and a
"Finished with the trap" eyecatcher, and everything that happens in
between is what nvcorrd is doing with that trap.
Be aware that nvcorrd switches from the alog to the blog and back again,
overwriting what's already there every thousand lines of output or so, to
keep the trace manageable.

(2) Buggy?  Well, there were major problems with the Query Database Node
and you will need to obtain the NetView 7.1.3 Fixpack 1 to get the fix for
IY20298, which rewrites it.  That should solve your problem.  If not, then
capture the nvcdebug trace and call Support.  They'll be happy to take it
from there.

I'll cut and paste the extract from Gareth Holl's posting from yesterday
which advises how to obtain the fixpack and apply it.
Point your browser to:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/nvuxnt/NV_SUN_V7

Get the files called "FixPack1.SUN.V713.tar.Z" and the readme called
"FixPack1.SUN.V713.README". This fixpack uses a similar installer to the
efix installers (if you have ever been asked to apply an efix by NetView
Support). The README is a html document but the installation instructions
are for the multi-platform installer, so ignore them and use the info
below. Do refer to the space requirements in the README however.

The compressed tar ball is about 109MB in size. You will need around 350MB
in a file system to store and uncompress this fixpack. Please make this
file system separate from your /usr/OV file system unless you are sure you
have ample disk space. You will need at least 250MB in /usr/OV for the
installation of the FixPack1.

Please shutdown the NetView Server:
1. /usr/OV/bin/ovwexit  (all GUIs)
2. /usr/OV/bin/ovstop nvsecd  (all daemons including nvsecd - please
double check all are stopped)
3. /usr/OV/bin/nettl -stop
4. /usr/OV/service/nvstat -cleanup
5. /usr/sbin/slibclean
Please check for any background tasks that are associated with NetView
such as nvUtil or jre's for maptreeserver. Kill them and run slibclean
again if any exist. I would recommend backing up your test box at this
point or at the very least tarring up your NetView directory.

Now you should be ready to install the FixPack1. You need to be root.
Extract the "install" program from the tar ball. Issue "./install -q".
Start your daemons using "netnmrc".

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Bocock Leonard <Leonard.Bocock AT siemens.com DOT au>
01/09/2003 08:46 PM