nv-l

[nv-l] ovobjprint -S and netmon ?

2002-03-25 12:09:43
Subject: [nv-l] ovobjprint -S and netmon ?
From: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal AT erac DOT com>
To: "NV List (E-mail)" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:09:43 -0600
Hello Everyone.

NetView 7.1.1 on AIX 4.3.3 ML9

Last year a message was posted to the list server that contained scripts,
pingstatus.sh and snmpstatus.sh. The scripts provide an easy way to tell how
well netmon is performing. pingstatus informs you how netmon is doing on
status polls. snmpstatus obviously shows how netmon is doing on snmp polls.

My dilemna is that the number of objects in the database grows quickly after
the database cleanup runs on the weekend. At 6 a.m. the number of objects
defined in the database was 17,890. Right now at 11 a.m. it is up to 38,149.
When I check netmon, it is usually too busy to even create the trace file or
is 8,000+ objects behind in polling. I suspect this is because netmon has to
continuously recalculate the polling cycle. Of course, then NetView isn't
really proactively warning us of node and interface failures.

Is this normal behavior? Or is there something I can do to keep netmon
polling effectively?

Here are the netmon.lrf contents:

netmon:/usr/OV/bin/netmon:
OVs_YES_START:nvsecd,ovtopmd,trapd,ovwdb:-P,-S,-s/usr/OV/conf/netmon.seed,-A
,-u,-l,-h,-K 0,-q 32,-Q 32:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED:15:

Thanks in advance.

Ray Westphal
Enterprise Rent-A-Car