Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exclude lists on Unix clients

2011-12-02 15:16:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exclude lists on Unix clients
From: "Kendall, Scott" <scott.kendall AT twcable DOT com>
To: Patrick <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 15:15:03 -0500
I have never tried from a Windows Master Server to UNIX Clients... but I have
done it several times from a Solaris Master to Solaris, AIX and Linux Clients.

It uses the same commands, but is done totally different for UNIX Clients!
Symantec, if you're listening... WHY???

You can't pipe standard input to the command to set it or expect the results on
the screen when you get it.

To set it, you create a file with any name on the NetBackup Server and then use
bpsetconfig with -e (or -i for include_list), specifying the file you created,
to "copy" the file to the Client specified (while also renaming to exclude_list
and putting it into the correct NetBackup dir).  If you use the syntax for
Policy or Policy/Schedule specific exclude/include lists, it creates it with a
name accordingly (e.g. exclude_list.policy).

To get it, you specify the name of the file to be created on the NetBackup
Server.  bpgetconfig, again with -e or -i, gets the exclude_list (or
include_list... policy/schedule specific lists if specified) from the Client
and "copies" it to the Server to the file name you specify.  You then have to
go cat the file or something to look at it.  It doesn't display it as standard
output.

Think of it as the old "bpgp"... but limited to working with exclude/include
lists!

For UNIX clients, refer to the technote I mentioned (also below), the Command
Line section at the end of the Documentation Updates that came with the 6.5.3
patch or use the online help (i.e. bpgetconfig -H or bpsetconfig -H).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66046

For Windows Clients, refer to the 6.5 Admin Guide or the following.

http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-bu/2011-November/110906.html

If this doesn't work when done correctly from a Windows Master Server to a UNIX
Client, I'd open a case with Symantec, because it should work, and definitely
works with a Solaris Master.