Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Servers Per Tape Drive Ratio

2011-01-26 10:02:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Servers Per Tape Drive Ratio
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:02:07 -0500
> How do you determine how many media servers per tape drive in your
> environments?  I have 10 LTO3 tape drives and have been using 2
> media servers per tape drive.  Thank you.

I read this question differently than others who responded.  In case
the question related to SSO, recent NetBackup versions (6.5 and higher
IIRC) reduced the traffic among media servers sharing a drive, making
it practical to have more media servers sharing more drives reliably.
A dozen media servers sharing four LTO4s certainly works; I don't know
what the practical maximum would be.

Note:  the more of your media servers that are Windows, the more
problems you will have (RSM, HBA drivers, network comms for SSO, ...).